Our exciting library of courses has been developed in the UK and covers key skill areas from Leadership Essentials to Microsoft Office or Health and Safety. We know that companies need a learning solution specific to their need and we don’t hesitate to either customise existing eLearning courses or develop from scratch if required. Read more...
Other Courses From This Provider
Managing Challenging Behaviour Effectivelyfrom $37.20
Positive Mental Health Awarenessfrom $37.20
Fire Safetyfrom $37.20
Driving Safelyfrom $37.20
IATP accredited mobile ready eLearning: Asbestos Awareness is registered by IATP, the Independent Asbestos Training Providers an independent body who only recognise training that has been audited by an independent expert.
Objectives: This course is designed to make your staff aware of the dangers of unknowingly coming into contact with asbestos and to help them understand the importance of following best practice. This course does NOT train learners to work with asbestos which requires training from an approved specialist via the IATP website or UKATA.
Content: Learners familiarise themselves with typical asbestos containing materials and explore where asbestos can generally be found in buildings so they are aware of where the dangers might be. As well as the law and different asbestos surveys, learners are shown practical ways to keep themselves safe including making sure they know the location of any asbestos, how to avoid creating dust and wearing PPE correctly. Finally, they are told what to do if they accidentally disturb asbestos.
Review: Sam Collins who audited the course said “This was a very well presented and simple to use online training programme with informative and engaging ‘virtual’ presenters. Excellent use is made of an additional ‘Asbestos Awareness Workbook’ which is available to candidates electronically. This acts as a useful reference document once the course is completed.”
Key Learning Points:
- The properties of asbestos and its effects on health, including the increased risk of lung cancer for asbestos workers who smoke.
- The types, uses and likely occurrence of asbestos and ACMs in buildings & plant.
- The general procedures to be followed to deal with an emergency, for example an uncontrolled release of asbestos dust in the workplace.
- How to avoid the risks from asbestos, for example for building work, no employee should carry out work which disturbs the fabric of a building unless the employer has confirmed that ACMs are not present.
- Describe what asbestos is and the characteristics that make it a useful construction material
- Explain why asbestos is so dangerous to health
- List common types of asbestos containing materials
- List common locations for asbestos
- Outline the legal responsibilities of the duty holder
- Name the asbestos surveys and their purpose
- Follow best practice ways of working to avoid creating dust
- Explain what training is necessary for licensed and unlicensed work with asbestos
- Follow best practice ways of working on site to reduce exposure to harmful materials (PPE)
- Explain what they must do if they disturb asbestos unintentionally
Anyone who carries out maintenance, refurbishment or installation on buildings